Always Wear Your Platinum Crown
You have dreamt about your engagement ring for years and you most likely have an idea of what you want it to look like. However, what you may not already know are the benefits of choosing platinum. Platinum is durable and provides the MOST SECURE setting for your diamond – a girl’s best friend.
Let’s take a look at the two components at the top of your ring:
- The Diamond is the focal point of your engagement ring (you can also choose a colored gem in lieu of a diamond). You select your diamond using the “4Cs” guideline: Cut, Color, Clarity, Carat. The diamond is the most expensive part of your engagement ring, and the 4 C’s will determine its appearance and cost.
- The Setting refers to the section at the top of the ring that holds your diamond in place with its prongs. If you select a ring made entirely of platinum, then you’ve made the right choice! Platinum is the most secure setting because of its density and durability, so it will protect your diamond and stand the test of time.
What is a Platinum Crown?
A Platinum Crown is an entirely, platinum setting that sits on top of your ring and secures the diamond with its prongs.
There are many ways that a Platinum Crown can be created, but one of the most common is through a process called casting. There are two ways that a Platinum Crown can be cast onto a ring:
- Single Cast is the process by which the entire ring including the crown is created as a single unit. Nothing has to be assembled once it has been cast, and jewelers will polish it and get it ready to set the diamond.
- The other way to cast the setting is to cast the body of the ring (the part that goes around your finger) and the crown separately, and then affix the two components through soldering or lasering. This process is generally used to lend itself to custom orders – when a customer falls in love with the style of the ring, and wants to select a diamond shape or carat size that best suits her personality.
Why Should I choose to be Crowned in Platinum?
When you choose a Platinum Crown, you protect your diamond from loss or damage and reduce your ring’s cost of maintenance for life. Below are 5 reasons why you should choose a Platinum Crown:
- It’s Stronger. A Platinum Crown is more durable than gold. Platinum’s high density and superior strength give a diamond more substantial protection than gold, which is brittle and prone to cracking and breaking.
- Less Maintenance. A Platinum Crown requires far less maintenance than gold over the lifetime of your engagement ring, which means lower cost-of-ownership. In 10 years time, you will save over 2.5 times the cost over repairing and re-plating of white gold.
- It’s Eternal. Platinum stays where the jeweler puts it. When a jeweler bends a platinum prong to hold a diamond, the prong stays in its new place. When you bump, rub, or scratch platinum, it doesn’t wear away. Gold wears down over time – even from rubbing on your clothing and bedding!
- It Gets Better. Platinum grows stronger. Every time you bump or scratch your Platinum Crown, it actually becomes harder and stronger. This is unlike gold, which becomes more brittle and thinner.
- It’s Brighter. Platinum Crowns are pure white and do not reflect color. This means your diamond will shine brighter and whiter than if it is set in white, yellow or rose gold.
Can I still be Crowned in Platinum even if I prefer another metal color?
In a word: Yes.
Platinum is the recommended metal of choice by leading jewelers for your engagement ring setting. However, if you prefer the overall look of yellow or rose gold, you too can (and should) select a Platinum Crown for your ring. In fact, because of platinum’s durability and that it is naturally white and does not cast any color into your center diamond, a Platinum Crown is commonly already used with non-platinum engagement rings.
When it comes to your engagement ring, always wear your platinum crown!