2018 Platinum Jewelry’s Year in Review
It was a year to remember for platinum jewelry and we will not see the likes of it ever again. Why? There were two royal weddings of Queen Elizabeth’s grandchildren where the brides wore magnificent platinum tiaras. In May, of course, Meghan Markle walked down the aisle to wed Prince Harry. In October, Princess Eugenie was married in the same chapel at Windsor to Jack Brooksbank. Surrounding these two historic ceremonies were countless red carpet events with dazzling earrings, beautiful rings, bold bracelets and statement necklaces.
To commemorate the amazing year in platinum jewelry we have chosen 18 of the very best looks. Get all the details on the jewels and our favorite photos below.
(1) For her royal wedding on May 19, Meghan Markle wore a vintage platinum and diamond bandeau style tiara from Queen Elizabeth II’s collection. The English jewel was made in 1932 for Queen Mary. It was designed around the element at the center which was originally a brooch given to Mary by the County of Lincoln as a wedding present for her nuptials to Prince George, Duke of York in 1893.
(2) Princess Eugenie wore a vintage platinum and emerald tiara on loan from the Queen for her walk down the aisle at St. George’s Chapel to marry Jack Brooksbank on October 12. The Greville Emerald Kokoshnik Tiara was made by the French jeweler Boucheron in the style of the Russian Imperial court jewels for socialite Margaret Greville in 1919 who bequeathed it to the royal family.
(3) Julianne Moore looked red hot at the Official Opening of the 71st Annual Cannes Film Festival on May 8th in a Givenchy gown and Chopard platinum pendant earrings set with 24.89-carats of diamonds.
(4) Constance Wu sparkled plenty at the Emmys on September 17th in a sequined Jason Wu dress and platinum Shinde drop earrings by Harry Winston set with 13.95-carats of diamonds
(5) Gal Gadot highlighted her Tom Ford tuxedo jacket with platinum and diamond chandelier earrings by Tiffany & Co. at the January 7th Golden Globes.
(6) Allison Williams was a vision of old Hollywood glamour at the March 4th Oscars in an Armani Privé gown and Harry Winston platinum earrings set with just over 16-carats of diamonds.
(7) Nicole Kidman added megawatt shine to her cobalt blue Armani Privé gown at the Oscars with platinum chandelier earrings by Harry Winston set with 23.52-carats of diamonds.
(8) At the MTV Video Music Awards on August 20th, Blake Lively accented her Ralph & Russo couture white pantsuit with over $2.5 million dollars of Lorraine Schwartz platinum and diamond rings as well as a giant pair of 28-carat diamond and platinum studs.
(9) Kendall Jenner paired an Elie Saab white mini dress with platinum and diamond Tiffany rings and a platinum and diamond necklace for the debut the Tiffany Paper Flowers collection on May 3rd.
(10) Jessica Biel wowed the crowd at the Emmys in a white Ralph & Russo strapless gown and a Harry Winston Secret Cluster platinum and 37.62-carat diamond bracelet as well as open cluster diamond earrings
(11) Saoirse Ronan brought sartorially drama to the Golden Globes red carpet with a one-sleeve Versace gown and a huge Cartier High Jewelry diamond and platinum cuff bracelet and diamond, sapphire and platinum pendant earrings.
(12) Bella Hadid looked sleek and chic in a custom made nude Mugler catsuit and Lorraine Schwartz platinum and diamond cuff and stacked bracelets at the Harper’s Bazaar Icons Party in New York on September 7th.
(13) At the MTV Video Music Awards in August, Jennifer Lopez paired a one-shoulder Versace platinum gown with four platinum and diamond bracelets from Tiffany & Co. valued at $595,000. She also wore Tiffany earrings set with fancy gray and white diamonds from the 2018 Blue Book and an array of rings.
(14) At the Golden Globes, Game of Thrones star Emilia Clarke wore a sensational Harry Winston V-shape platinum and diamond necklace that followed the curves of her strapless Miu Miu gown.
(15) Gal Gadot added a splash of color to her black and white Givenchy gown at the Oscars with a platinum, diamond and aquamarine necklace from the Tiffany Blue Book Collection.
(16) At the Emmys, Heidi Klum paired a major platinum and 110-carat rose-cut diamond and intense pink diamond necklace by Lorraine Schwartz with a strapless Zac Posen gown.
(17) At the WSJ Magazine 2018 Innovator Awards in New York on November 7th, Lupita Nyong’o wore a white Ralph Lauren suit and the super stylish Secret Combination Harry Winston platinum and 58.53-carat diamond necklace and Sunflower platinum and diamond earrings.
(18) For the Los Angeles premiere of A Star is Born on September 24th, Lady Gaga made a dramatic style statement in platinum colored Givenchy gown with a cape and a vintage Bulgari platinum and 100-carat diamond choker from the Italian firm’s Heritage Collection. She also wore platinum and 20-carat diamond Bulgari earrings.